Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Monthly Review #1

I shaved my head on June 15th. Every 15th I'll post a review. These monthly reviews will capture everything that is "normal" for my hair's current length.

Pictures from the month in chronological order (admittedly I didn't take enough in the second half of the month, next month I'll be better - more selfies!):




Maintenance and Growth: Remember that spot I made on my head when I shaved it?
Totally grew out in 10 days. I mean from a certain angle it looked like my head might have a dip in that spot for another 8 days but now I couldn't find it if I tried (by eye or by touch). I have not cut it since it was shaved professionally.

Styling is not something that can be done at this length without real gel to plaster it down. Right now I think that's too much work. After 3 weeks I considered re-shaving it because it started looking more puffy and less sleek. I also considered shaving at that time because apparently my hair's growth pattern/ cycle is weird. the top of my head grew much faster and so right around the top I had a nice ridge where the puffy top met the sleek sides. I tried to smooth this down but alas I have no gel and really - so much work when I just don't care THAT much.

(Update: At week 5 the sides caught up and now it looks fine.)

If you try to style with water the short springy hairs work like catapults and you end up making it rain. I'm serious - your countertops and mirrors will be covered in a light spray of water. Awesome, right? That same thing happens in the shower: run your hands over your wet hair and it just mists everywhere. Speaking of the shower: my ladies without buzz cuts know how your hair can give away how long you've gone without a shower. With a buzz cut I can take 4 showers a day without worrying about drying out my hair or I can wait a week (until my body catches up!). It all looks the same! And when I get out of the shower I just towel off my head and I'm dry. It's insanity. But sleeping on my hair leaves something to be desired. Since I can't really style it if I spend too much of the night on one side (like I am now that my right ear has new piercings) that side ends up flat compared to the fuzzy other side. My solution to this is to rub the flat side against the grain and the fuzzy side with the grain all morning. Then just not care.

Other: I rode in a convertible the other day: no hair to get in my way! And now I can wear thick lip gloss without worrying about my hair getting caught in it (gross).
I take Biotin daily - I figure by the time I have long hair again all of it will have been made under optimal biotin availability. :)
With short hair it's MUCH easier to see your grey hairs, especially on the side of the head. They kind of sparkle - which is lovely. But the minute you stop being mesmerized you're like "WAIT - ANOTHER ONE???" I've seriously found like 8. Okay so that's not even double digits but it's only the front of my head. What lurks around back?!!?
I'm thinking I'm going to try the coffee solution to greys. So watch out for that in future posts!


No comments:

Post a Comment